Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Better than the Ford version'.
Found 1 result
I figured I should start a nifty thread of my own instead of littering the "What did you do today" thread or thread-jacking Andre's post (http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2827-two-new-peugeots/) that started this whole bicycle craze... I bought a Peugeot Galaxie frame for pennies on eBay. The BB was in great shape but the head bearing was a bit sticky. The top nuts were chewed up from mistreatment by a former owner and an ill-fitting wrench. This is how it looked upon arrival and unboxing: I managed to source a pair of Wolber wheels (similar in vintage and weight to the original Rigidas): And a vintage Shimano 105 Biopace groupset: I had to source a steering stem since the frame didn't come with one. I found an NOS Atax alloy stem on eBay France and jumped on it: I also got a NOS Stronglight alloy bearing set, complete with new hardware to replace the chewed up top nuts. I looked for platform pedals from a Shimano 105 groupset but didn't have any luck finding anything in decent shape. So I went with new tech and got a set of Magnesium and Titanium super-ultra-lightweight things from, where else, eBay: I had a local bike shop lace the Shimano 105 hubs to the Wolber hoops, and mount a set of good tires. I also picked up a set of drop bars for literally a couple dollars. Figured it would be enough to get me started. Here is the bike in one of its mock-up stages: Performance Bike was having a store-wide mega sale, so I impulsively bought a nice bike stand so I could finish the assembly somewhat comfortably: New decals for this model are long since gone--no one has any. I took detailed photos and measurements and got a quote to reproduce a set. It would've been over $200, so I decided against it. I was going to piece together similar-looking decals from more common Peugeots, but I've decided to go a different route. Since the seat tube and head decals are in decent shape as-is, and just the top tube and down tube stripes were the nasty ones, I spent some time with a can of Aircraft Remover and Carb Cleaner, and carefully stripped them off the beautiful Aluminum frame. Here are the results: