andrethx

two new peugeots

That looks like its in really nice shape! What size frame is it?

Really looking forward to it coming together...

Rabin

What size frame is it?

He advertised it as a 59cm, but the brochure lists 60cm as the closest official size. Lucky since that's just about the perfect fit for me

Today I picked up the 105 groupset and I couldn't be happier. Everything is in perfect shape. The rear Wolber hoop is a bit rough, but he gave it to me anyway. The front is already laced to the 105 hub and is in pretty good condition. I love the pixel 1980s font they used for the "Biopace" logo on the chainring.

P.S. I'm sorry I've completely threadjacked here :P

post-47-0-59685900-1396727768_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-40131000-1396727794_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-79653900-1396727819_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-97180500-1396727847_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-92415500-1396727873_thumb.jpg

no worries about threadjacking -- this is a bike thread, so you're right on topic. :)

have you measured your dropouts on the galaxy? peugeot bikes of that era tended to use non-standard spacing (imagine that)....it would suck if your 105 hubs didn't fit your frame!

andré

Very interesting article! Its like resto modding a classic car - rebuild it with modern components for a very unique ride...

I'll keep my 89' Mont Blanc road bike stock, but after reading that article I really want a PX-10 'resto mod' with modern components...

The Galaxie would be another uber cool bike due to its rarity - might have to add that to my eBay search list!

Rabin

have you measured your dropouts on the galaxy? peugeot bikes of that era tended to use non-standard spacing (imagine that)....it would suck if your 105 hubs didn't fit your frame!

The hubs do fit, thankfully. The rear dropout seems to be ever-so-slightly tweaked, but with some moderate pressure spreading it I was able to get the hub to slip in place. It looks like I'll only need to adjust the brake pads in their slotted mounts, and all of that will line up perfectly.

Though the groupset I bought came with a very nice bottom bracket, the frame came with its original one and the seller stated he took it apart and cleaned/greased it. It feels smooth, so I'll likely just leave it in there and keep the other as a spare.

The head bearing is a worry. The seller stated it needed to be rebuilt, and sure enough it feels like there is a lot of resistance when turning the fork. The groupset came with nice bearings, but I'm not sure if they'll fit the Galaxie given the weirdness of French front ends. Maybe I can salvage what's in the frame. I think I was to replace the top nut as it looks like someone let a wrench slip or something on it. I've seen NOS Stronglight (OE) nuts on eBay, so perhaps that's the way to go.

Very interesting article! Its like resto modding a classic car - rebuild it with modern components for a very unique ride...

I'll keep my 89' Mont Blanc road bike stock, but after reading that article I really want a PX-10 'resto mod' with modern components...

The Galaxie would be another uber cool bike due to its rarity - might have to add that to my eBay search list!

Rabin

Not to be a bad influence :P but there's a PY10 FC on eBay right now. Vitus 979 and Carbon Fiber. It is a former race bike according to the description, and it has some rough spots here and there, but no cracks or major damage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281300983940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The head bearing is a worry. The seller stated it needed to be rebuilt, and sure enough it feels like there is a lot of resistance when turning the fork. The groupset came with nice bearings, but I'm not sure if they'll fit the Galaxie given the weirdness of French front ends. Maybe I can salvage what's in the frame. I think I was to replace the top nut as it looks like someone let a wrench slip or something on it. I've seen NOS Stronglight (OE) nuts on eBay, so perhaps that's the way to go.

you could keep the top part of the headset that's currently on the bike (replacing the bearings), and use the bottom of the headset that came with the group set (press-in & lower race) -- on french headsets, it's the threaded parts that are different, the press-ins are conventional. if you don't want to mix parts, rebuilding the current headset with whatever parts you can find (replacement nut & bearings) is probably your best bet....second best bet is to find a NOS french-threaded headset on ebay or elsewhere.

you could swap out the headset for one of the newer threadless headsets, but that would necessitate swapping the fork which would change the geometry & ride of your frame. as pointed out in the article i linked to in my previous post, some people like that but i'm of the mind that doing that no longer makes the frame "french" so one would be better off just getting a conventional frame if that's what one wants.

by the way, if you want to change your 80's bikes to the newer threadless style of stem, there are many quill stem adapters you can get. they look like this:

stemadapter_zps80075023.jpg

these will fit on your mountain bike as-is (since peugeot mountain bikes are standard in this respect) but your road frame takes a smaller-diameter stem so you would need to get it from these guys -- they take standard quill stem adapters and turn them down -2.0mm so they fit french head tubes....

andré

At 6' tall with a 32" inseam I think the 55cm frame would be too small. Pity as that looks like a steal currently.

Definitely will be putting a search in though I think - I want to do a lot more riding this summer and something with modern brakes and components would be awesome.

Repairs: One thing to consider is that you might be able to save the head stock bearings - when I got my road bike the wheel ball bearings had the most damage - the races were actually not bad. I cleaned up the races, then buffed them up. Went to the local bike shop with the best condition ball bearings and found equivalent new ones. Replaced all the balls with new ones and reassembled - worked awesome.

One thing about forks - if I could find some nice CF front forks I'd give up the "French" feel for the comfort of the CF. I rode a Cannondale road bike with CF forks and rear stays and its ability to take out road harshness was amazing.

Any thoughts on what you're planning to use for handlebar wrap?

Rabin

Repairs: One thing to consider is that you might be able to save the head stock bearings

My manager at work is an avid cyclist and he just told me the same thing--often you can get by just cleaning and repacking them. I hope that's the case here.

The bike came with an Atax alloy stem (which I guess is common to most Peugeots). I'd like to find one in good shape to keep it somewhat original, but I'm not opposed to adapting another, probably using the adaptor André mentioned.

Not sure what I'll do with the wrap. Speaking of bars, this weekend I found someone locally on CL selling a Wolber wheel in perfect near-new shape for $20. Coincidentally it's laced to a Shimano 105 front hub, though it's missing half of the QR assembly. That's okay because I just wanted the hoop to lace to the rear hub I have. Now I have a matching pair of Wolbers. The OE wheels were Rigida, but from what I can tell, the difference in weight between the Rigida and Wolber is like < 10g.

The guy also threw in some drop bars (46cm I think?). They were free so I took them. They are anodized black, which sort of matches the wheels. So I guess the theme for this Galaxie will be silver and black instead of all silver. Maybe I'll throw in some French Blue highlights (such as the wrap and saddle) since that's my favorite Peugeot color.

I've been extremely sick with some kind of terrible stomach illness since Wednesday night, but I felt good enough to do some bike work today. I managed to get the headset apart, which wasn't easy since everything on it is aluminum.

Once apart I cleaned the bearings (rollers in a plastic/nylon holder) and races, greased them up well, and put it back together. Now she turns smooth as glass! I still want to replace the two top nuts since they were damaged by a previous owner.

The Shimano groupset I got came with all 105 headset bearings, races, and nuts... but they are steel and are noticeably heavier than the Stronglight alloy the bike came with. They do seem to fit however. I still want to go OE, just because. I found something on eBay that will work.

Additionally I have a Atax alloy stem on the way :)

Last Tuesday I dropped my 105 hubs and Wolber hoops off at a local bike shop to have them laced with new spokes, tubes, and tires. They should be ready in a few days.

I offered someone some money on a set of very nice original 105 brake levers, haven't heard back.

So for parts, that leaves a saddle, cables, pedals, and front/rear reflectors (I want those). Before long she'll be ready to ride!

Love the update Joe - and can't wait to see how the bike comes together. Curious if your getting any fancy lacing of the spokes or just the basic design?

Oh - and I had a nasty bug a while back - lived on Gatorade and a proper electrolyte mix for ~ 4 days before I could even consider eating anything! Hope your recovery is swift!

Rabin

Ugh, thanks... It's been killing me!

I'm just going with a standard lacing, figured it was safest and cheapest solution.

Since the decals are pitted and chipped here and there, I'm thinking I'll remove all but the "Peugeot" on the seat tube and Lion on the head tube. The Pechiney sticker isn't in bad shape either.

I've found some cables with sleeves that are close to the Peugeot corporate blue. I want to find a lightweight saddle in the same color, and also some wrap material for the bars. I think the natural aluminum and that deep blue will look nice together.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the availability of replacement vinyl decal kits for bikes - so while it would be great to keep the good decals - it might be worth while to remove the tattered ones, polish the alloy tubes, then replace with modern vinyl replicas...

Any ideas on the saddle? In my brief road bike journey I found the seat to be a big source of pain! Looked at a bunch of designs to make it more comfy and not cause any damage to my boy bits - but eventually it came down to proper seating position, seat adjustment, and basically getting used to the seat. I'd still like to get a better seat - but still at a loss on which one to get.

Last few days have been snow filled - so no chance of getting my bike out for pics until May now...

Rabin

I've been pleasantly surprised with the availability of replacement vinyl decal kits for bikes - so while it would be great to keep the good decals - it might be worth while to remove the tattered ones, polish the alloy tubes, then replace with modern vinyl replicas...

Sadly I can't find anyone with Galaxie decals. I found one vendor that had a set of Comete decals but they were gone by the time I noticed them.

I've found numerous other sets of course for the more common bikes. I'm thinking what I might do is mix and match sets to get close to the original. For instance, one set has the correct Lion and stripe insignia for the head and forks, and another has the correct Peugeot lettering and red/orange/yellow chevron for the seat tube. May be my only option.

Like you, I have no idea what to do with the saddle situation. I found a Fizik Arione in a good color combo (silver and Peugeot-ish blue) used for a decent price. They are said to be fairly easy to move around on, but tend to be a bit firm. Their Aliante gets good marks for comfort but is more of a sit-and-stay-put kind of saddle (difficult to move around on). I'm not dead set on Fizik, but they seem to be a popular brand amongst road bikes.

I posted this on the Book Of Faces but figured I should put it here too. Mocked up (nothing tightened down, missing cassette, chain wheel, front brake, etc) photo as of last night:

My vintage 22mm Atax alloy stem arrived and fits perfect. I popped in the drop bars I got as a freebie, and even though I was concerned about the 46cm sizing, they seem to feel okay so maybe it will be fine.

The bike shop finished lacing the 105 hubs to the Wolber alloys, and they mounted some Continental semi-race rubber for me. Got a bangin deal on all of that; Since I was getting all of that done, they only charged me for one tire

post-47-0-47520000-1397846772_thumb.jpg

Looking good! I went with Continental Cross Country Road bike tires as I wanted to commute with my road bike, and our roads are in terrible shape. Quite like them - but they don't have the proper road bike / race look, however they ride fantastic.

I like the drop bar design too - I was looking at the latest road bikes with the integrated shifters in the brake handles - very trick stuff but I never looked into seeing if they could be retrofitted to the older bikes. I've gotten used to the down tube shifters now after riding on rollers with the bike, and since it's just a fun bike it's likely not worth the $$.

Decals - You should take some nice quality pictures of them and send them to some of the vinyl places that are producing replica decals - it's shocking how easy and cheap it is for some of these companies to duplicated them.

Rabin

Sadly I can't find anyone with Galaxie decals. I found one vendor that had a set of Comete decals but they were gone by the time I noticed them.

when you say you found a set of comete decals that were out of stock, are you talking about yellow jersey?

also, i've heard that velocals has lots of decals that are not listed on the site so it's worth calling them....

i'll keep an eye out for galaxie/comete decals...

andré

Yep, Yellow Jersey! No dice. Please do keep an eye out, I'd appreciate it.

On another note, I rode the other Peugeot (the Canyon Express) approximately 14 miles today (6 early this morning, 8 more after work). I gotta say, it's a fun little bike! It weighs in at right around 29 lbs according to the '84 brochure, so I'm excited to see how the Galaxie performs, weighing 10 fewer pounds and being build more for speed in the first place.

i got a new wheelset for my wife's bike, but the rear dropout spacing on the bike is the older 126mm, not the current 135mm (that the new rear hub uses). none of the bike shops around me would spread the rear forks for me ("not worth the hassle," "we don't want the liability"), so i decided to do it by myself. there are basically two ways to do it, using leverage or using a spreading rig. i chose the latter and made my own spreading rig from 5/16" threaded rod, two fender washers, two nuts and some firm rubber fender washers (to protect the frame from unnecessary scratching, even though i'm going to get it painted soon). the vise grips are there to keep the rod from rotating. i moved the nuts out slowly and evenly, checking the measurements frequently until i hit the 135mm mark. it came out great.

i'm going to replace the front fork; the old one has 96mm spacing (100mm is now the standard) so i'm going to replace it with a new fork with a threadless-steerer setup. i wouldn't do this on a french road bike, but these mountain/hybrid bikes aren't truly french (this one was made in canada!) in that they have conventional geometry...so the ride should be pretty much the same.

PhotoApr1981738PM_zpseee9f601.jpg

andré

I noticed that about the ATB bikes... My Canyon Express is made from Tange Mangalloy tubing, from Japan.

I think it's amazing you found not one but three US Express bikes in such a short period of time. I had been looking for a Peugeot mountain bike forever and had started searching out of state when suddenly my Canyon Express showed up on CL one weekend. Since then I've seen a smattering of others, but they are rare.

I went for a 16 miler on Sunday and hit a new top speed. In doing so, I noticed a bit of wobble from the front, so I'm guessing I need to get the wheels trued. Also, the derailleurs or the cables or something need adjustment again. I'm now having trouble selecting the low gear on the chain ring as well as 1st gear on the cassette.

I think it's amazing you found not one but three US Express bikes in such a short period of time. I had been looking for a Peugeot mountain bike forever and had started searching out of state when suddenly my Canyon Express showed up on CL one weekend. Since then I've seen a smattering of others, but they are rare.

these are rare bikes, but it's funny how one sees more of them listed after one buys one! the listings seem to run in batches. with peugeots (bikes as well as cars) it certainly pays to bide your time until the right one shows up.

My progress has slowed a bit while I wait on some weird parts that have to come from Europe. One is the new Stronglight headset bearing assembly. I cleaned mine and repacked it with grease, and now it feels fine, but I want to replace those chewed up top nuts. It ended up being just under $50 with shipping. I spent more than I really wanted to, but it is NOS and coming from across the pond.

I have some brake cables now, but forgot the shifter cables. Oops. That still leaves a saddle and some bar wrap. I can't wait to ride this thing!

look forward to seeing your progress, joe!

speaking of progress, i finally found the fork i needed for my wife's bike. i mentioned earlier that i was going to be replacing the original (threaded) fork with a threadless model, but i realized that the threadless fork/stem combination didn't lend itself well to the hybrid/city bike outcome i'm shooting for with this particular bike -- for the upright riding position my wife wants, one pretty much has to go with a high-rise stem which means quill type (unless you add one of those kludgy steerer extenders). moreover, it's an older bike with a 1" headtube and finding a 1" threadless mountain bike fork with bosses for v-brakes and without an attachment point for caliper brakes at a reasonable price was proving difficult. the fork i got was chromed, but it's not going to stay that way.

i had an appointment down in orange county today so i dropped the frame & fork off at my favorite powder coaters. i was picking out paint samples with my wife (for our bedroom) recently so i had her pick out a bike color ("just for fun, if i ever find a bike like that"); the powder coaters were able to match it pretty closely. it should be done by the end of the week, i'll post photos then. the color looks like this:

axalta-ral-4001-red-lilac-polyester-30-m

andré