Sign in to follow this  
andrethx

a peugeot bike for my wife

this build thread is a continuation of the build i was documenting in the topic "two new peugeots" originally in the general peugeot discussion section (edit: now moved to the vélos peugeot section). now that we have a dedicated section for bikes on the forum, i'll pick up the narrative here.

i finally got the new stem in today, here it is:

PhotoJun18105650AM_zpsd831e2bc.jpg

this stem is an interesting piece because it combines a quill-type lower with an upper that is essentially a contemporary threadless-type stem. the lower fits the old-style 1" threaded headset, but the clamp fits modern 31.8mm handlebars. additionally, this is a "high-rise" type of stem, suitable for the more relaxed, upright riding posture that my wife prefers. here's a picture of the 4-bolt face clamp:

PhotoJun18105702AM_zpsba4fa1de.jpg

the adjustment bolt for the quill is underneath a cap on the top:

PhotoJun18105714AM_zps5e8457fb.jpg

no time to work on the bike (or the car) today, more updates to come.

andré

ordered decals today from velocals...i ordered the set for the phe20/mont blanc...this is not the exact set for this frame, but aside from the tubing decal and the name decal, all of the other decals are correct for this bike. i ordered the decals with the UV laminate finish (for finished frames like mine) and i got the lettering done in silver metallic, should be nice with the purple powder coating.

with regard to the tubing decal, this bike (as well as my hybrid bike and my son's) uses L1011 tubing, which i understand to be a variant of the carbolite 103 tubing. i wasn't able to find this decal anywhere, so i asked for a quote from velocals and it came in very reasonable -- 4 copies of the decal plus setup was only US$50-$60, so i ordered those as well. they look like this:

l1011_zpsc9f41b09.jpg

so i should have these in a few weeks. the only decal left that i don't have is the US Express script, i may just get something generic for that.

andré

progress:

PhotoJun2515517PM_zps78e1bc25.jpg

new pedals, new seat post bolt:

PhotoJun2515542PM_zps465dd1a5.jpg

PhotoJun2515530PM_zps787767cb.jpg

got the front and rear derailleurs, waiting on the shifters to set all of that up. also need the seat post, saddle & handlebars.

andré

just got an email from velocals that my order has shipped. they're not very far from me, should have it by saturday or monday. i'm looking forward to seeing how they did! will post lots of photos.

decals came in yesterday. the L1011 decal looks amazing:

PhotoJun2872721PM_zps786e889b.jpg

the decal set for the bike looks really nice as well, but these look black to me and i specified silver. i sent an email to velocals to clear this up. it's not the end of the world, black was my (close) second choice of color.

PhotoJun2872817PM_zpsba42cfee.jpg

andré

i heard from velocals today, they conceded their mistake and said they'd make me up a silver set. they said i could keep the black ones...i'm thinking i'll use the black ones on my US express, maybe i'll go with a brighter blue than i was originally planning...

very busy with work lately, plus i'm leaving town on august 1st so i'm trying not to leave any loose ends; i'm going to louisiana for a couple of weeks to see my parents. they've been married for 55 years, i guess that's pretty rare these days. :) not happy about the weather in louisiana in august, but looking forward to seeing my parents.

anyhow, i finally got the shifters for this bike; i think i mentioned earlier that i selected the least expensive fully-indexed (i.e., front & rear) shimano components for this build...the shifters were very difficult to find, the only place i could find selling the configuration i wanted (fully-indexed 3x7) was a bike shop in northern california that sells on ebay. these shifters are "twist" shifters, they look like this:

PhotoJul2513802PM_zpsc0e50c2b.jpg

once they're on the handlebars, they use a special half-grip that matches the shifter. here's a pic i found on the internet that shows what they look like installed:

DSC00995_zpsa3e1d9ec.jpg

note -- my shifters are 3x7, not 6 speed as in this picture.

these half-grips are even harder to find...the only place i could find that sells them online was in the UK. they weren't expensive but i'm still waiting for them to come in. i got two sets each of the shifters and grips so that i can use them on my US Express as well.

andré

I really like those shifters!

I've done a bit of reading and it seems that the 6 speed Suntour freewheel on my Canyon Express uses 5mm spacing, and that you can use a Shimano 7 speed index shifter with it and the Suntour derailleur (just adjust the limit screws to lock out "7th" gear). That might be something I want to pursue.

And speaking of Suntour freewheels... Jeez those things are expensive brand new (NOS). If I ever need a new one, it looks like I might as well just upgrade the whole thing to a modern freehub.

putting new components on an old frame isn't easy, but it's much less difficult than mixing and matching old and new components.

one feature i like about these revoshift shifters is the visual indication of the current gear -- my wife is still fuzzy on the whole gear selection process so i'm hoping that this will help to demystify it for her...

I might be inclined to use the new Peugeot logo, just because its a new build. And I think the new logo is sexier. But that's just me.

-Bill

I might be inclined to use the new Peugeot logo, just because its a new build. And I think the new logo is sexier. But that's just me.

-Bill

which one do you mean, bill? the one i got in silver?

new half-grips from the UK:

PhotoAug0130926PM_zpsd9fadfa9.jpg

andré

I meant this one, the current Peugeot logo. They might not even be making the bike decals, though.

post-6-0-92225600-1406950669_thumb.jpeg

got the new handlebars and applied the decals to my wife's bike. i'm not 100% thrilled with way the decals came out....since these decals were for a road bike, they are made for smaller-diameter tubing than this bike has...so the decals on the top tube and the seat tube don't wrap around as far as i would like. my wife said i was being perfectionist and that she like it just the way it is...i'll probably order new (larger) decals in the future and re-do this then.... :)

with regards to the "peugeot" script decals on the down tube, i decided to go with the black. the silver looked kind of "washed out," while the black provides a better contrast.

PhotoAug20102019AM_zpsa6c8a15d.jpg

PhotoAug20102035AM_zpsf62fc8bd.jpg

PhotoAug20102047AM_zps2928de5a.jpg

and here's the new handlebars; these are relatively narrow, well suited to a woman's shoulder width:

PhotoAug20102107AM_zps86be60a0.jpg

andré