yhzman

Torsen Differential on all 505 Turbos?

Hi,

was looking at this old thread which supplies the differential codes, and the P code means the car is equipped with a Torsen differential.  I searched through the forum posts and couldn't really tell if all 505 Turbos (ABS and non-ABS) were equipped with these diffs.  Can anyone comment?

I took a pic of the code (I hope!) on my differential (86 505 Turbo 5 speed), it is EPBM - the second letter, P, indicates my car has the Torsen diff.  Is that correct?

Torsen.jpg

Bill - Thanks for your help, I must have read the original post in a hurry, and I thought the P code was the Torsen...  

Torsen diff's have a metal tag with green writing and actually say Torsen on them iirc.

Worth looking as I know my brother fit a Torsen diff to his 88' stx so some crazy PO could have retrofitted it.

Rabin

Best way to find out if you have a torsen i've found is to do a donut in dirt or gravel and then lunch the car hard if both tires are spinning you have a torsen, after that you can feel it is like driving a welded diff it takes about half a kilometer for the torsen to unlock.

Also first ABS versions did not have lock at all. Reasoning was at at the time there was not confidence enough to ensure ABS working with locked diffs :)

V-M