Mike T

1966 404 Coupé Injection Restoration

31190588958_5b608b2033_c.jpg

Thanks to Harm (that's his nickname!) in the Netherlands for finding these original Jaeger sports instrument panel warning lights!  I just got them today.  L to R: 

- low fuel pressure (KF/KF2 engine)
- low brake vacuum / low brake fluid level
- low oil pressure
- main/high beam warning light
- turn indicator warning light

Now all I have to do is make a panel to hold the 6 gauges and these lights, paint it....oh and rebuild all the instruments, which likely need a refresh.

Today I got the beltline trim installed on the driver's side.

With some help: my youngest daughter put the nut that holds the rearward part of the front fender trim on - that is only accessible with the front door opened about 45 degrees, because even like that, there is about 3 mm of space to play with to get the sucker spinning on the captive bolt that's attached to the stainless steel trim. All other connections are easy.  My other daughter did the passenger side a couple of months ago. My fingers are too big to get in there properly!

43355551590_1da1c37143_b.jpg

31295962728_b742684e3c_b.jpg

If a car had feelings, it would feel like finally getting dressed again.(404 error)  My wife always said she feels naked without her earrings on.🤣 

Looking good Mike !

Some recent work on the 404C, last weekend and just today:

46138966111_b6e906c67a_b.jpg

Clearcoat on the Carrosserie Peugeot plate.

45227665645_e4d9ae2b10_b.jpg

For reassembly, I used the original insulation as a template to cut Dynamat Xtreme panels, mounted the Dynamat and then glued the original insulation to it.

45415199564_0a499b6f4c_b.jpg

Heater core with the ancestor of modern "set and forget" heat level - thermostatically controlled water valve.

46138965281_7ec58c019d_b.jpg

Heater core box is mounted in the car with new foam to seal between the air intake in the bodyshell and the bakelite box.

44322354040_55f168714c_b.jpg

Wiper mechanism mounted - both spindle assemblies are brand new.

You'll doing a great job on the coupe Mike, i'm very surprised how many italian looking parts there are in it, thet heater looks like it will bolt straight in the little Niva i'm now fixing, also the wiper mechanism looks straight out of a zastava which is also a copy from Fiat. I'm surprised peugeot made them this way.

The entire wiper mechanism and heater is exactly like that of the 404 sedan, so they're not locally sourced.  The wiper shafts are longer though, but still made by SEV Marchal.  The heater is by SOFICA.

45236771955_a2e4f78949_b.jpg

Together at last: 6 Jaeger France gauges in MPH and degrees F ( but the oil pressure is in bar - luckily I am bilingual ;) ) plus the 5 original warning lights that make up part of the sports instrument panel for the 404 Coupé and Cabriolet.

Now I have to get two or three of these gauges refurbished and have a metal plate to hold them made up.

Voilà!  Wiper nozzles mounted.  Tough to get those on a C after the heater unit is in.  On a sedan it's no problem ;) 
45429007954_ab2e109dee_b.jpg

Someone must have copy someone else, i don't have good picture to show you but you can see this is a Niva heater core, little more crudely made but they may be interchangeable, also the box looks almost identical.

IMG_20181120_172140.jpg

Not the same at all: the Peugeot rad has hard sides and it twice as thick.  404 was introduced 15 years before the Niva.  Which in turn got its core from a Fiat 124.

Great progress Mike!   Looks fantastic.   :)

Rabin