NinaYo401

Fuel hard line leak. 505 STI

My volvo is in the shop.  Power steering leak.  I’d recommend fluid film or some something like por15 or zinc inhibitor on those hard lines.  I’ve been taking care of the steering coupler, but that hidden area is sensitive on the p2 chassis.

I’d crack the master cylinder loose from the booster to check the seals, but I should probably hod off till my volvo is back.

i need a caliper reset tool before I mess with the brakes.  And I should try to locate a spare plastic brake reservoir, if I need to replace my master cylinder 

I wrapped my master cylinder with paper towels and after a week there doesn’t seem to be any brake fluid on it.  

I have new front pads and hardware I’ll install, but I’m questioning the health of  my rear brakes.

i snapped a couple photos through the rims and I’m confused.  Are these matching calipers?  

DF2076D4-4205-4036-8636-318F9622384C.jpeg

208B42FF-58B0-4E59-A317-3DE513DBB446.jpeg

5D9F27C3-6976-46CF-BC68-6D1F845EEC22.jpeg

I think that proportioning valve could be the culprit of my fluid loss.  It’s spring seal thing seems to be glossy with a rust color oily sheen  

I've been rebuilding my calipers, and they match the top picture you posted. Here's a better view of the whole assembly, before I replaced everything:

IMG_1082.thumb.jpg.a0509524bbec0b0d0441a507ea0d32cc.jpg

I haven't read about any rear brake setups resembling your bottom picture, though. It looks like they use the same kind of brake pad and maybe retaining clip, but the piece they slide on is completely different.

There is a large bolt holding the sliding pin thing to the caliper..  I thought it looked different.

as for rear compensator valve.  Could I just use a flare nut line wrench, hopefully loosen the old fittings, and if everything comes apart, just install the 10mm threaded tee in place of the valve?  Or are fresh bubble din flares necessary?

I’m hoping a week of liquid wrench does the trick, because the fuel supply to the main pump runs directly behind the brake valve, not that I have a torch anyway.

Ive also noticed a drop of steering fluid from the lowest line threaded into the rack.  I’m wondering if I can have a single  line made with the threaded rack end and the pump end, or if I’m better of seeing if my local mechanic could braze it my old one. 

Im very confused by my odd rear caliper.  I’m hoping the pads are the same,  though only one side seems new, so I’m not so sure thy match 

that mystery caliper appears to have some sort of clip on the top of the pad.

I asked Brian Holm about my funky  caliper, if he has hardware for it.  He identified it as a 504 caliper which after 71 utilizes the same style pads.

That's surprising, definitely some creative mechanic work. Does the rear end pull to the left or right when you brake?

The lowest hard line on my steering rack has a weepy drip, likely from corrosion.  

It’s a larger diameter than the brake lines.  I don’t have any of the tools to make flares anyway, but may purchase a brake line flare tool, and may seek one with the appropriate crush fitting to form  the steering line flares.

I’ve noticed what looks like a banjo fitting on the hose from the pump to the hardline into the rack.  I haven’t noticed any banjo ended pressure hoses available.

Could a hydraulic line shop reuse my old banjo fitting end on a new line?, something flexible, but I’d still need a 180° bend before the rack fitting.  I’d be bypassing a junction 

A good hydraulic shop should be able to re-use fittings and hardline sections.

Just make sure to double check ends when they’re out to make sure none of the ends or lines have any cracks.

BTW - Crows feet wrench ends can be found that can sometimes come in handy for removing lines - they can even be had in the flared end style that are less prone to slipping as the metal is very soft.

Rabin

Funny you should mention crows feet.  I lost a flare crows foot somewhere in the rear lower control arm when figuring out the size on the fittings on the rear proportioning valve.

seems steering hose could potentially be GM 5/8 Inch or 16mm to AN6 Banjo Fitting for Power Steering Pump?