NinaYo401

Speedometer cable ZF 4HP22 Transmission

How does the speedometer cable attach to the ZF 4HP22 4-speed automatic transmission?

I’ll get a good photo of the junction between the transmission case and the flexible speedometer cable.  The sleeve/collar enters the transmission at what I’m assuming is the speedometer cable drive gear?  

I can’t see any method of attachment externally.

I do have a transmission filter and gasket, if I need to drop the pan to change the cable.

I can hear something behind the dash clicking, so I’ll make sure I don’t have the two piece cruise control cable. 

I’m also seeking information on pulling out the lower dash knee booster.  

I'm trying to figure this out too, but on a BA7/5 transmission. I took out the speed sensor on mine (2 piece cable with cruise control) this morning while removing the clutch master. I am planning on gettin a one piece speedo cable for mine and not bothering with the cruise control.

The knee panel is held on with some m6 bolts with 10mm heads, the steering column shroud needs to come off first though. its held on with some philips heads and is kinda tricky to get around the cruise control/turn signal switches

I’ve read about a rubber grommet behind the brake booster.

we looked at it the other day.  I forgot to take a photo.  Directly below the junction of the cable on the transmission, there is a bolt.  

Been noticing an atf looking drip in the front driver side of my parking spot.

the transmission cooling lines are looking pretty soft.

what are my options?  

I think I’m going to drain the ATF, spray the lines with brake cleaner, then a coat of harbor freight spray can rust converter.

I have a filter and pan gasket.  I’d like to save the gasket if I need to drop the pan to change the speedometer cable.

I’ve been noticing a little highway wobble in the front right.  I have mismatch tires up front, so I’ll rotate them for the rear matched pair.  I’d also like to change the rear diff fluid.

I was hoping to squeeze under the car without lifting it up, which I managed enough to top off the rear diff, but it was super tight with the spare tire holder.

diff had a copper crush washer on the fill.  

Is there a drive gear aspect on the transmission end which in prone to failure?  

I was driving to the city yesterday, and noticed mid route that my instrument cluster brake light was on. 

I remember seeing a disconnected brake pads sensor when rotating my front tires.  I pulled over at the closest gas station, reached up where the cable was zip tied to the brake hose.  Sure enough it was loose, and possibly touching the chassis.  Obviously this completed the circuit, possibly causing my indicator.

allowing it to hang near the LCA, seems to have resolved the light, but isn’t at all a good long term solution.

Now I need to secure the wire better, or better yet, attempt to reattach it to the brake pad.

maybe I should replace the front brake pads?  But the question now is if my 86 xn6 Sti calipers are bendix or ATE.

Here's a picture of an ATE caliper:

ATEcaliper.thumb.jpg.49ff14ce587c7322e66ef5bbcd106f28.jpg

ATEs have the cross-shaped hardware that you can see inside of the caliper above. I can't find any pictures of a Bendix caliper, but I know they have the word 'Bendix' cast into the metal of the caliper itself. My '87 STI has Bendix calipers, but I don't know when the changeover was.